Wesselhoeft Water Cure
Dr. WesselhoeftIn the 1840’s one in five children born alive did not live to see their 1st birthday. The average life expectancy was less than 40 years. Many doctors bled their patients when they didn’t feel well and prescribed medicines that contained mercury and...
Sugar ImportAbout 125 years ago the Vermont Phoenix, a Brattleboro newspaper, published an article by local sugar maker John Gale concerning the annual gathering of maple sap during the early spring. The practice was learned from Indigenous peoples of the Northeast...
The Valley Fair
The Valley Fair in Brattleboro began in 1886. It was held for one day in the 2nd week of October and had over 5000 people attend. Farmers exhibited cattle, horses, poultry, sheep, pigs, dogs, fruits and vegetables, and many ribbons were awarded.
On the east side of Main Street, near the junction of Main and Elliot, is an old brick building with the name “Union Block” highlighted in raised bricks at the top of the third floor. Between the second and third floors is a large bronze plaque, bearing the name “Amedeo de Angelis”, with the United States Seal depicted at each end of the plaque. Have you ever wondered how the building ended up with these two monikers?
Putney Road Expansion
From 1900 to 1950 Brattleboro’s population, on average, increased by 1000 people per decade. In 1900 the population was about 6,500 and by 1950 the census stated there were about 11,500 people in town.
A Partial History of Brattleboro Printing and Publishing
Since 1797 there has been a weekly or daily newspaper in Brattleboro for all but four years. It started with Benjamin Smead’s paper the “Federal Galaxy” in 1797 and goes on to include William Fessenden’s “Reporter” in the early 1800’s, the “Vermont Phoenix” for over 80 years, and the “Brattleboro Reformer” under the banner of Windham County and Brattleboro for over 140 years.
Memorial Park and the Ski Tow
Deep RootsThe Guilford Street Ski Tow opened to the public in January 1938. It operated on the Clark Farm in the area now occupied by Living Memorial Park. For its time, the tow was one of the most modern in New England. An all-day ticket cost 35 cents and a...